De-Facto Relationship Breakdowns
Since 2009, separating couples who were in a De-Facto relationship have been subject to the same legislation as married couples. This means that anyone who is in a De-Facto relationship is treated exactly the same as a married couple when it comes to the division of their assets in a separation and arrangements for their children.
If you are separating from your De-Facto partner, the Family Law team at Selvaggio Lawyers can help you to negotiate a fair and equitable property settlement and finalise any parenting arrangements that may be required if there are children of the relationship.
What is a De-Facto Relationship?
A De-Facto relationship can be defined by any of the points below:
- You and your partner were in a relationship for more than two years; or
- You have a child with your De-Facto partner; or
- You own property together or have made substantial financial contributions to your partner's property and there would otherwise be hardship.
If Court proceedings are commenced in your matter, a decision will be made, taking into account:
- How long you and your partner have been in a relationship for
- Whether you and your partner lived together during your relationship
- Your financial involvement during the relationship
- Ownership of property
- Whether there any children of the relationship
- Whether your relationship is registered under State Law
Why Choose Selvaggio Lawyers
The Family Law team at Selvaggio Lawyers are dedicated to providing expert advice that you can trust. Daniela Poletti, a Partner of Selvaggio Lawyers, has over 25 years experience working in Family Law.
Passionate about Family Law, Daniela has gained considerable expertise in all aspects of Family Law and is also an experienced Collaborative Family Law practitioner and an Accredited Family Law Specialist.
The team at Selvaggio Lawyers always promise to provide clients with expert advice and guidance during such a sensitive time.
At Selvaggio Lawyers, we pride ourselves on being:
- Professional and discreet at all times
- Approachable and easy to talk to
- Able to provide clear and easy to understand advice and guidance
- Honest and upfront
- Accessible to all of our clients
If you would like to learn more about how Selvaggio Lawyers can help you with your De-Facto relationship breakdown, contact us today. We will be able to organise a confidential consultation with Daniela and the Family Law team.